Creamy Raw Vegan Chocolate Espresso Pie
by Erin Druga
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cacao powder
For the Filling:
To Make the Crust:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse. It may take a while to crush everything up so be patient – no more than a minute though.
- Spray a pie pan or round cake pan (I used an 8-inch cake pan, but either will work) with nonstick spray or coconut oil and, using a spatula, flatten crust out in bottom. Rub spatula over mixture so that it is smooth and then place in freezer.
To Make the Filling:
- Combine cashews and water in a blender and pulse until mixture turns smooth.
- Add in cacao, coffee and syrup and blend.
- Lastly, add in dates and espresso beans.
- Remove crust from freezer and pour filling over top, using a spatula to smoothen out if needed.
- Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes or until mixture hardens; cut into slices and serve.
- Store in freezer or refrigerator – either will work.
- Helen Rose